Saturday, June 15, 2019

Four horsemen - Snippet from WIP for #WeWriWa



Welcome to another Sunday with Weekend Writing Warriors. Meet writers in various genres and read 8-10 sentence snippets of their stories. Find a new author and sample their work. Enjoy!

I am continuing snippets from my new medieval romance set in fourteenth century England in and around my hometown of Reading.
My heroine Audrey and her cousin Margaret are traveling home from their pilgrimage to Glastonbury Abbey.

Draft Blurb
A young widow in possession of a good business must be in want of a husband.
In fourteenth century Britain, Dame Audrey enjoys her independence as the widow of a cloth merchant. She has no desire to remarry and submit to a husband’s will, but the town elders covet her prosperous business. Her kindness to a stranger earns Bridda’s blessing and a brooch with a green dragon offers glimpses into the hidden world of the supernatural. The faerie brooch attracts trouble from thieves of all ranks and the attentions of a handsome bailiff, Selwyn Drake. Can she evade the schemes to force her into wedlock and retain her independence?

You can read last week’s snippet here – https://auroraspringer.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-handsome-knight-snippet-from-wip.html
I have skipped to the final stage of their journey home. Audrey and her cousin are traveling with a group of about 15 people. 
Note, this is still an early version of the story and needs to be expanded and polished. 

     We had not traveled far from the crossroads to Newbury when the clatter of hooves sounded behind us. A horn blared, and we all swiveled in our saddles to look back. Four men rode over the crest of a wooded hill, leaning over their horses’ heads and traveling at a fast canter. They wore green doublets and carried bows on their backs. Their leader was mounted on a fine black courser with a white blaze on its forehead. As they rode out of the shadow of the trees, sunlight glinted on their spurs and the hilts of their swords. With his hood rolled back, the leader’s hair shone as red as burnished copper. 
     The horn pealed a second warning.
     A man shouted, “Make way for the sheriff’s men.”


 Europa


I have a special sale for June.
Europa will be 99c everywhere from June 1-30
Thrilling SciFi Romance set in the near future on Jupiter’s moon.
Daredevil scientist & scarred alien merman forge a perilous alliance despite the antagonism of their people.

As always, I’ll be happy to reply to your comments.  
Please return to www.wewriwa.com to sample the works of the other writers.

Find a catalog of my published stories HERE.
Join me on Facebook and Twitter 

17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the opening sentence of your blurb. It seems vaguely familiar somehow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An intense snippet! I wonder what they're after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great vivid scene. The reader is right there with them with these horsemen bearing down upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now there's a line to get the blood flowing - "Make way for the sheriff's men!" I'm looking around for Robin Hood now....it's a very effective snippet, great details as always in your stories. I can't help it that 'sheriff' in this context is inevitably paired with 'Robin Hood' for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually found the records of the period. The High Sheriff of Oxfordshire and Berkshire was appointed for about a year. My story does have outlaws, although they are not up to any good!

      Delete
  5. I love this! I can see it clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thundering hoofbeats coming up from behind would scare the heck out of me. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. You might have to read the book to find out, although I'mnot sure when it will be finished.

      Delete
  8. A stately scene. I'd be a quite intimidated by the approach of the sheriff's men.

    ReplyDelete