Saturday, July 6, 2019

A Muddy Street - Snippet from Medieval Romance for #WeWriWa



Welcome to another Sunday with Weekend Writing Warriors. Meet writers in various genres and read 8-10 sentence snippets of their stories. Find a new author and sample their work. Enjoy!

I am continuing snippets from my new medieval romance set in fourteenth century England in and around my hometown of Reading.
I have skipped to the next chapter after Audrey has returned to her house (and cloth shop) in Redding. Here is an action scene! Audrey has just paid the fees for a stall at Saint James’ Fair. During a break in the thunderstorms, she is walking home through gloomy streets. She is using a staff to avoid slipping in the mud. Thirteen-year old Alfred, one of her servants, is lagging behind.  
You can read last week’s snippet here – https://auroraspringer.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-penniless-man-snippet-from-medieval.html

     Cued by the squelch of footsteps in the mud behind me, I whirled around, gripping my staff in both hands. A hooded man with a knife grabbed for my arm. Acting swiftly, I cracked the stick on his wrist. Spitting a vulgar oath, he jerked away; the knife dropped from his fist. On the backstroke, more by fortune than foresight, I clouted his head with my staff.
     He stumbled onto the cobblestones, cursing like a maniac. Before he had time to recover, young Alfred raced up and grabbed his arms. Alfie might be skinny, yet he is strong for his age. He wrestled the churl’s hands behind his back.
     A man came running out of the shadows toward us, a sword in his hand.

Draft Blurb
A young widow in possession of a good business must be in want of a husband.
In fourteenth century Britain, Dame Audrey enjoys her independence as the widow of a cloth merchant. She has no desire to remarry and submit to a husband’s will, but the town elders covet her prosperous business. Her kindness to a stranger earns Bridda’s blessing and a brooch with a green dragon offers glimpses into the hidden world of the supernatural. The faerie brooch attracts trouble from thieves of all ranks and the attentions of a handsome bailiff, Selwyn Drake. Can she evade the schemes to force her into wedlock and retain her independence?


 Colony

My Book Special this month
A Tale of Two Colonies – 99c in July
For refugees from an overcrowded Earth, dreams of a better life on an alien planet transform into a terrifying battle for survival.



As always, I’ll be happy to reply to your comments.  
Please return to www.wewriwa.com to sample the works of the other writers.

Find a catalog of my published stories HERE.
Join me on Facebook and Twitter 


19 comments:

  1. May I guess that man is Selwyn? :-) Interesting snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may, although he is a little late to rescue her!

      Delete
  2. You painted a perfect picture of possible danger. I look forward to next week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, I skipped the scary walk to this spot.

      Delete
  3. Lots of drama in this snippet, for sure! She's got good reflexes and quick thinking, fortunately. Enjoyed the excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said in the previous comment, she's been primed by scary visions during her walk across town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Glad she could handle the knife-wielding man. But is the man with the sword a friend or enemy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh oh. The second attacker makes it seem this could be more than a cut-purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ans, I skipped the deliberate distraction by the thief's doxy.

      Delete
  7. She's has quick reflexes. Great imagery of of danger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great action scene. (I find fight scenes difficult to write.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are difficult to choreograph, although I like to include action wherever possible.

      Delete
  9. I do like this first person narrative, Aurora. Definitely want to read this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for her. I hope this new person with a sword is the hero. While she doesn't need him, his support would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most men carried swords in those days.

      Delete
  11. I'm also curious to find out the identity of the man with the sword.

    ReplyDelete