Saturday, March 6, 2021

A thin rope - Snippet from Bridget Bramble and the Wandering Elf for #WeWriWa

 


Welcome to another Sunday with Weekend Writing Warriors and Snippet Sunday. Reading is a safe pastime during the pandemic. Sample the work of a new author. Read snippets of stories in different genres.

I’ll continue with snippets from my new fantasy, Bridget Bramble and the Wandering Elf, for a little longer.  Then, I’ll begin showing you snippets from my WIP, Baswin, Book 5 in my Science Fiction series, Taxyon Space.

In last week’s snippet, the elf Windswift had left Bridget holding his bow while he explores the landslide that is blocking the path. She is still unsure how much he can, or will, help her.

You can read the snippet at https://auroraspringer.blogspot.com/2021/02/hold-my-bow-snippet-from-my-new-fantasy.html

The last lines were: She waited, afraid he might abandon her along with the bow. And even if he found a way into the mountains, how could she follow the same route? She lacked his height and agility. 

We continue: 

After a long and anxious interval, she spotted his lithe figure skipping from one rock to another. He descended the rocks as fast as he had climbed, briefly touching his feet on each surface.

In a short time, he dropped from the final boulder and stood in front of her. His eyes glinting in glee, he sang, “I’ve found the road to the top. A waterfall tumbles over rock steps leading up the cliff.”

Anxiously, she asked, “Is there a path where I can climb to the top?”

“If your heart is stout, you can, with a little help.” His lips curved in a warm smile. “I believe your legs are strong. You have walked many a mile through the woods from your village.”

Ten lines and here’s a little more:

He patted the side of the boulder. “This ascent is by far the most difficult part on the way I’ve scouted.” 

Eyeing the tall boulder dubiously, she asked, “Do you have a rope?”

“Aye.” Reaching under his cloak, he showed her a shiny coil looped over his belt. “My rope is at your service.” His rope, a slender ribbon of smooth cream-colored fiber, looked more suitable for decorating a hat than for carrying a weight.

“It’s very thin,” she said.

“Thin yet strong, My rope is woven of strong elven silk and will hold the weight of two men. I use it to climb trees.” Angling his head to stare at the top of the boulder, he said, “Alas, the rope is too short for a direct ascent. Yet, for this step, you need not use a rope. My strength will suffice.” He pushed his cloak off his shoulder and replaced the rope on his belt.

 


Fantasy romance. A young witch escapes the destruction of her home and embarks on a perilous quest for the fabled land where elves and humans live in peace.

In a land threatened by cruel invaders from the east, Bridget Bramble lives in a small village where she barters herbs and carved buttons. When marauders target her village and murder her family, she flees into the woods. Armed with her Granny’s advice and a bag of magic buttons, she sets out on the perilous journey to Oakenwald, the fabled land where elves and men live in harmony. As she travels farther from home, she encounters malicious creatures from the worst kind of folktale.

Lost in the foothills of the mountains, Bridget meets the elf, Windswift the Wanderer. He offers to guide her across the mountain range. But what is the elf doing in human lands? Can an ordinary, or almost ordinary, human girl trust a cold hearted elf to lead her to safety? 

Available at: AMAZON   iBooks   B&N   Kobo  GooglePlay   Other

I’ll be happy to reply to your comments. 

Please return to http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/ to sample the works of the other writers.

 

Find a catalog of my published stories HERE.

Join me on Facebook and Twitter 

 

 

25 comments:

  1. Glad he came back to help her! I'm sure it will be a tough climb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is still not sure she'll be able to make the climb.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad he's willing to help, though I'm still not 100% sure he has good intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite liking him. Let's keep him, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He seems very capable, and very knowledgable about the terrain. It makes him more interesting and more mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. He has traveled this route before, but the landslide is new and other things have changed.

      Delete
  5. I'm not quite so sure about this climbing business -- he seemed a little too happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be some ascent, I'm thinking! Better her than me, LOL. Can't wait to read more - loved the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Bridget can climb if she can reach handholds and footholds.

      Delete
  7. I'm thinking this first part she's going to get carried by the strong elf. Which could be rewarding in its own right. At least if she trusts him. Loved this snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad the elf came back. I thought he would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a good story. Thoroughly entertaining, and fantasy is not often one of my go-to reads. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Once I've finished the 5th book in Taxyon Space, I hope to write the sequel for Bridget's story.

      Delete
    2. It will definitely be on my to be read list! :-)

      Delete
  10. The ascent appears perilous, although the elf guide seems to know his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elf is better at climbing than most humans.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your excellent, unique and original article. I've tried to locate clear information on this topic many times. You have helped make this interesting as well as clear. The thorny what is a bramble and embracing bushes. Shak.

    ReplyDelete